Studying abroad is not easy. When you receive an admission letter from an Australian university, you can’t sit back and relax, because you will start to apply for an Australian student visa next. So, what should I pay attention to when applying for an Australian student visa?
1. What is an Australian student visa?
The Australian student visa is a temporary visa mainly used for international students to study in Australia. Since July 1, 2016, international students will apply for a student visa (subclass 500) uniformly regardless of the course they take. If the international student is under the age of 18, a guardian must be arranged to accompany the student. At the same time, the guardian must apply for a guardian visa (subclass 590).
2. What are the requirements for applying for an Australian student visa?
If you have made up your mind to study in Australia and plan to apply for an Australian student visa, what conditions must you meet?
– At least 6 years old: The minimum age for students going to study in Australia is not less than 6 years old.
– Health Insurance: Before applying for an Australian student visa, you must undergo a physical examination and meet the requirements of the physical examination. At the same time, apply for Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC).
– Obtaining the Enrolment Letter (Confirmation of Enrolment, CoE): Before applying for an Australian student visa, you must also successfully obtain a CoE issued by an Australian school.
– The purpose of the study is pure: if you want to successfully apply for an Australian student visa at one time, it is important to meet the real short-term entry (Genuine Temporary Entrant, GTE) requirements. You need to make it clear to the visa officer that you are going to Australia for pure study and for a short stay. You will leave Australia before graduation and the expiry of your student visa.
– Sufficient funds: the cost of studying abroad is not low. You must have true and reliable sufficient funds to pay for tuition, living expenses, travel expenses to and from Australia, etc. in Australia.
3. How long does an Australian student visa usually last?
The Australian student visa is issued based on the validity period of the Overseas Student Health Insurance (OSHC), covering the entire course of the study period, and the maximum period does not exceed 5 years. If you want to know how long an Australian student visa is valid, you may wish to refer to the following situation.
– The course period is longer than 10 months (the Australian school year ends between November and December), and the validity period of the student visa is generally until March 15th of the following year.
– The course period is longer than 10 months (the Australian school year ends between January and October), and the validity period of the student visa is generally 2 months longer than the course period.
– The course period is less than 10 months, and the validity period of the student visa is generally 1 month longer than the course period.
4. How much is an Australian student visa?
The cost of an Australian student visa is generally AU$560. However, you may need to pay some additional fees, such as health assessment fees, police certification fees, or other certification or testing fees.
5. What are the materials for an Australian student visa?
The list of materials for an Australian student visa may vary slightly depending on the school and course you are enrolled in. Generally speaking, if you want to apply for an Australian student visa, you need to prepare these materials in advance: ID card, passport, birth certificate, letter of enrollment (CoE), guardian arrangement confirmation letter, overseas student health insurance (OSHC), real short-term entry Certificate (GTE), language transcript, family member relationship certificate, academic transcript, academic certificate, financial certificate, work certificate, professional qualification certificate, etc.
6. When should I apply for an Australian student visa?
In fact, Australian officials do not limit the time for applying for a student visa. Generally speaking, after you get the CoE issued by the Australian school, you can prepare the materials for visa application. The application period varies according to your study abroad category. It can be as short as two days and as long as 88 days. Of course, in order to ensure that you enter the school on time, you should apply for a visa sooner rather than later.
7. How to apply for an Australian student visa?
Applying for a visa is very simple. If you are busy studying or working, you can consult and entrust an overseas study agency to handle it on your behalf, or log on to the official website of the Australian Department of Home Affairs to apply. If you are worried about language problems, you can also directly log on to the official website of CatEight, fill in the visa application form in Chinese or English, and submit it to the Australian Ministry of the Interior or an intermediary to submit it on your behalf. It is very convenient and fast!
8. Renew your Australian study visa?
Although the course period is generally within the validity period of the Australian student visa, it is possible that your visa will expire before graduation. In order to ensure your study and life, it is recommended that you pay attention to the validity of your visa while studying in Australia, and try to contact the Australian Ministry of the Interior one or two months before the expiration date to apply for a student visa renewal. Of course, don’t be too nervous if it expires, because there is a 28-day buffer period for the student visa, as long as the visa is renewed within this time period. However, if you are careless and extend your student visa by 28 days, it will be more tragic, because you will not be able to travel to Australia for three years.
If you want to study in Australia as an international student, it is inevitable to apply for an Australian student visa. In this case, it is beneficial to know some important things about the visa in advance.