If while viewing your Instagram feed, this error message pops up, “Could not refresh feed” then, you’re probably feeling really frustrated right now!
However, we suggest you not to worry as many Instagram users have faced this problem before, so you are not alone.
Another reason for not to worry, even if Instagram keeps showing you the “could not refresh feed” error, is that you have come to the right place.
Here, you’ll learn not only why Instagram keeps saying “could not refresh feed” but also how you can fix it.
So, that said, let’s started without wasting any further second—
What Causes Can’t Refresh Feed Issue On Instagram?
The possible reasons why Instagram couldn’t refresh feed are as follows—
- Slow Internet Connection: Without a doubt, poor internet connection is the most common reason why you might see the error because the Instagram app is not able to download the latest photos and videos to your feed due to a slow or choppy network connected to your device!
- Instagram App is Out of Date: If you forget to update your app and are using an older version of Instagram on your device, you are bound to experience some performance issues on the app, one of which could be a “Could not refresh feed” error.
- Down Instagram Servers: Like other social media, Instagram is also not perfect. So, let’s admit that sometimes, Instagram in-app errors and glitches are one of the reasons for all kinds of errors to happen, which includes this one also.
- Usage of Third Party Apps: If you use a third-party app or an automation tool to like, follow, unfollow, etc. Then, you’re likely to face this issue because Instagram is very restrictive on the third-party apps that you can use. Wondering why? The reason is that third-party apps that are not partnered with Instagram and thus, they can pose a huge risk to your account if used.
To be specific, if you use third-party apps, Instagram can easily detect this and block you from carrying out any action including, you couldn’t refresh your feed as well.
Not just these, there are other reasons also for wondering why won’t my Instagram refresh? They includes, incorrect date and time, your actions being blocked by Instagram, overflow of Instagram’s cache, a software glitch, and restricted data usage, etc.
12 Solutions to Fix Instagram Couldn’t Refresh Feed
Now that you know the possible reasons; these are some of the ways you can try to fix Instagram can’t refresh feed error on your respective (Android or iPhone) mobile—
Solution 1: Check Your Internet Connection
First of all, you need to make sure that your internet connection (mobile data or Wi-Fi) is working fine and has enough speed.
With that in mind, to test your internet, you can try using other apps or you can open a favorite web browser on your device and visit any random site or page.
[Note: You can also visit Speed Test and check your connection speed.]
If they take too long to load on the net when you open them, it means that your connection is causing the problem and you need to contact your service provider to fix the same. Doing so, also helps you get rid of the ‘Instagram Couldn’t Refresh Feed’ issue.
Solution 2: Log Out and Log In to Your Instagram Account
Next, you can try logging out and logging into the Instagram app to see if the “Could not refresh feed” error gets resolved this way. To do this—
- Step 1: Open Instagram on your respective Android or iOS device and tap on your “Profile Picture.”
- Step 2: Then, go to “Settings”of your Instagram account.
- Step 3: From settings, select the “Logout” option to simply log out from your Instagram account.
- Step 4: Now, what you have to do is “Close the app” and “Open” it again.
- Step 5: Once it is opened, you will need to “Log in” to your Instagram account again by entering your account credentials.
Solution 3: Restart Your Device
Since more often than not, rebooting the system fixes the errors. So, another basic yet effective solution to resolve this type of problem is that you can try to restart your device.
- To restart your Android device, you have to hold down the Power button until the Reboot option appears. When you see it, just tap on it!
- To force restart your iOS device, you need to hold down the Power and Home button simultaneously for about 3 seconds until the screen turns black and the Apple logo appears.
Solution 4: Check Instagram Servers
If you’re still facing the ‘couldn’t refresh feed’ error, make sure Instagram servers are up and running.
This is necessary because Instagram has been down several times throughout the years and hence, it is not uncommon if Instagram is down currently causing you to face this particular problem.
So, to check if Instagram is down, you can refer to websites like Down Detector.
You can also check the official Twitter account of Instagram for updates.
There, if Instagram is down, you’re likely to see thousands of reports in the graph. In that case, you are left with no option but to wait until Instagram itself fixes its server issues.
Solution 5: Force Quit the Instagram App
Next, you can use this way to fix the “Instagram couldn’t refresh feed” error on Instagram. Force quitting or stopping an app, stopping all app related activities and you never know it also helps you to solve the error in question.
However, as the steps of force quitting the Instagram app vary depending on whether you have an Android device or an iPhone. So, have a look at the instructions and execute the steps accordingly—
- Step 1: To begin, find the Instagram app in your menu.
- Step 2: Then, what you’ve to do is press and hold the Instagram app icon until you see the drop-down menu.
- Step 3: From it, tap on the “App info” option.
- Step 4: After that, tap on “Force stop” and confirm it.
- Step 1: Go to your iOS device Home screen.
- Step 2: On that, swipe from down to the middle of the screen.
- Step 3: Then, you’ve to swipe right or left until you see the Instagram app.
- Step 4: Following that, just swipe up to close the Instagram app.
Solution 6: Clear the Instagram App Cache
Another great option recommended to fix the “Could not refresh Instagram feed” issue is to clear the cache and data of Instagram. Doing so helps in faster working and loading of the app. Hence, here’s how you can clear the app cache to boost the app’s performance and resolve this particular issue—
- Step 1: Firstly, you have to hold the Instagram icon and select the “About” option from the Applications tab.
- Step 2: Then, inside the window that opens, select “Memory.”
- Step 3: After that, tap on the “Clear Cache” button.
[Note: Don’t confuse this with the Clear Data button because if you select the Clear Data button instead of Clear Cache button then, you will end up permanently deleting your useful and important information.]
- Step 1: Tap the “Settings icon” from the app drawer to open your iPhone’s Settings app.
- Step 2: In that, tap on “General” and select “iPhone Storage.”
- Step 3: Now, you need to find the “Instagram app” from the list of apps that you have on your iPhone.
- Step 4: Once you’re able to find it, tap on it and following that, tap on the “Clear Cache” button.
However, in rare cases, if there is no such button, you can delete the application and download it again.
Solution 7: Set Automatic Time and Date
If you have modified your date and time in the past and set it on manual then, you need to set it back to automatic again.
This is because if your phone’s date and time settings are set manually, they might not sync with real time and in turn, can prevent your Instagram feed from refreshing.
[Note: You must have the correct date and time on your device to prevent such errors on Instagram.]
Therefore, you need to make sure that your date and time settings are set to Automatic. That said, here’s how you can do so on your respective mobile—
- Step 1: Go to your Android device “Settings.”
- Step 2: Inside settings, tap on “Date & Time.”
- Step 3: After that, just turn the toggle switch ‘ON’ for “Automatic.”
- Step 1: Go to your iOS device “Settings.”
- Step 2: Inside settings, you’ve to scroll down and tap on the “General” section.
- Step 3: Under the general section, just tap on “Date & Time” to turn “Set Automatically” toggle switch ‘ON.’
Setting your date and time to automatic will update it to the current date and time and hopefully resolve the encountered issue also.
Solution 8: Change Instagram’s Data Limits
Since Instagram has a feature wherein users can set the maximum cellular data usage by the app over a certain period of time, the app restricts you from uploading or viewing photos and videos when the set data limit is exceeded.
So if you have also used this feature, then check whether the set data limit has been exhausted or not. If so, you will need to increase the data limit for Instagram from within the app.
To do so—
- Step 1: Go to Instagram and open your “Profile” on your respective Android or iOS device.
- Step 2: Then, select the “Settings” option from the menu to navigate from profile to your Instagram account’s settings.
- Step 3: On the settings page, scroll down and tap on “Mobile/Cellular Data Usage” and simply just increase the limit.
Solution 9: Update your Instagram App
Needless to mention that you need to update your daily-using apps like Instagram, WhatsApp and Facebook as doing so promises better stability and reliability of the same.
Having said that, look how you can update the Instagram app on your respective mobile—
- Step 1: Navigate to your Android device “Settings.”
- Step 2: Then, open the “About Phone” tab.
- Step 3: In that, you have to check if there is an update available for your operating system or not.
- Step 4: If so, just “Install” the available update via following the on-screen instructions.
- Step 1: Go to your iPhone “Settings.”
- Step 2: Inside settings, scroll down a little and tap on the “General” section to open it.
- Step 3: After that, all you have to do is select the “Software Update” option and follow the on-screen instructions to download the new update files (if any are available).
So this is how you can easily update the Instagram app and ensure its smooth running and functioning. However, like many users, if you do not have a habit of updating apps regularly from the App Store or Google Play Store, try your hands on auto-update feature.
Once auto-updates are configured, you will always have the latest available version of the Instagram application on your smartphone. So, here is how you can set up the auto-update —
- Step 1: Open “Google Play Store” on your Android device.
- Step 2: Inside Google Play Store, you’ve to navigate to the “Settings” tab.
- Step 3: Then, select “Connection settings” followed by “Auto-update applications” to enable the “Auto-update.”
- Step 1: Go to the “App Store” on your iOS device.
- Step 2: Then, in the “Automatic Downloads” section, what you’ve to do is tap to enable “Apps and App Updates.”
Now, check if the “Instagram couldn’t refresh feed” error is resolved or not by opening Instagram and loading the home page once more.
Solution 10: Reinstall your Instagram App
Sometimes, when nothing works, uninstalling and reinstalling the Instagram app may resolve the issue. So, considering the same, here’s how to reinstall Instagram—
- Step 1: Firstly, locate the Instagram app on your Android device.
- Step 2: Then, press and hold the Instagram app icon until you see a menu.
- Step 3: From the menu that appears, tap on the “Uninstall” option.
- Step 4: Now, visit the Play Store and from there, install Instagram app once again on your phone.
- Step 1: Find the Instagram app on your iOS device’s app drawer.
- Step 2: Then, tap and hold the app icon until a menu appears.
- Step 3: After that, from the list of menu, tap on the “Remove app” option.
- Step 4: Now, what you’ve to do is go to the App Store to install Instagram app again and check if this helps you resolve the issue or not!
Solution 11: Try Using Instagram on Another Device
If you see a message stating “action blocked,” you can try some quick fixes which include completing your profile information and logging in from another device.
To be specific, you can try logging into your Instagram account from your laptop, tablet, or another mobile device on the same network. After doing so, check whether you can refresh your feed using another device or not. If so, the problem may be occurring on your default device because you might be using the third-party apps on the same.
After doing that, check whether you can refresh your feed using another device or not. If so, then you might be using third-party apps on your default device and thus, facing this issue in question.
However, worry not; you should stop using a third-party app or an automation tool on your device to get rid of the “couldn’t refresh feed on Instagram” issue.
Solution 12: Contact Instagram Support to Report the Issue
If your Instagram feed is still not updating, your last resort is to report the problem to Instagram Support. So, considering the same, here’s how to do get in touch with Instagram Support—
- Step 1: On your respective Android or iOS device, open the Instagram app first.
- Step 2: Then, in the Instagram app, “Log in” to your account.
- Step 3: Once you’re logged in to your IG account, go to “Settings” and navigate to the “Help” section.
- Step 4: There, what you’ve to do is tap on “Report a Problem” and describe the issue by mentioning that you’re facing the “Couldn’t refresh feed” error.
- Step 5: When you’re done, just “Submit” the issue and wait for the Instagram Support team to respond and take the necessary actions to ensure that you don’t face such a problem in the future.
So, this is all about the “Could not refresh feed” message on Instagram which can be faced due to many factors. However, you can easily solve this problem by taking the help of this guide. Still, if you don’t get success, you can also submit a help request to Instagram Support.