Most opponents of postgraduate degrees in the tech space would argue that it is possible to take your tech career to successful fruition without having to invest a lot of time and money into a masters in computer science. They would also add that it might not be sound financial advice to get into debt just to get a master’s degree.
However, most of them underestimate the sterling career advantages that a master’s degree in computer science can provide. Read this blog to learn how such a programme can benefit your tech career and how you can secure admission into a reputed computer science master’s.
Should you pursue a master’s degree in computer science?
Yes! A master’s programme in computer science can build on the foundation you received in your bachelor’s programme and further hone your technical and soft skills. Additionally, you can also stand to gain in the following ways.
- You can dramatically increase your earning potential as a tech developer: A master’s degree in computer science can increase your salary prospects by a lot. To give some context, an average software engineer with a bachelor’s degree in Germany can earn around € 90000 per year while a master’s degree holder can earn around € 150000 per year.
- You gain a noted edge in the fiercely competitive tech industry: A graduate degree can also help you stand apart from your competitors and come off as a more knowledgeable candidate. A recent study by Northeastern University showed that 67% of organisations prefer postgraduate candidates.
- You get access to exciting career roles: A master’s degree allows you to spend some time in research and scalable IT systems. This prepares you for a plethora of intriguing career roles in the tech space.
- You can progress to leadership roles within the tech domain: A master’s degree in computer science also delves into the managerial aspects of running IT projects. Thus, you can easily progress to leadership roles with a computer science master’s degree.
- You can increase your career scope: A master’s programme can further elevate your career prospects in the tech domain and prepare you for important roles like IT consultant and principal software engineer.
How can you ensure you get into a good computer science postgraduate degree?
Since a master’s degree in computer science can be fairly technical, most universities offering the course tend to have stringent entry criteria. However, the following tips can help you secure your admission to a good programme.
- Get a bachelor’s in computer science or computer engineering from a reputed university or technical school
- Gather some experience in developing and managing data structures either through an internship or industry projects
- Gain enough coding experience and sufficient proficiency in as many tech stacks as possible
- Develop your analytical thinking and problem-solving ability
- Keep track of the latest industry developments through journals and tech magazines
- Attend boot camps and hackathons to improve your coding speed and efficiency
Start looking for appropriate programmes from good tech schools today!
Read Also: Which Subject is Best After 10th Class?